Monday 9 November 2015

This is Goodnight and not Goodbye

Post by Net

So as our project draws to a close, we found ourselves at a story telling evening amongst our Latvian Scout and Guide friends. Although originally planned to be held around a campfire, they wisely decided to move it inside when the temperatures dropped to below zero! So instead, we all gathered together in the school assembly hall, by the light of candles at the front. Old friends sat amongst new friends, and 5 of the experienced Leaders, Rangers and Rovers stood up to tell one of their (many) Guiding or Scouting stories.


We were huddled at the back of the room, the 5 of us lying on the floor, shoulders touching, heads into the centre of our little semi circle, with Liga (or Martins when Liga was talking) lying in front of us, translating to us in whispers.

We heard stories of going on hikes with not enough food, and scouts sharing and staying enthusiastic despite this. We heard stories of travelling to Japan and experiencing new cultures. We heard stories of being bullied at school because of being in scouts. The storytellers answered questions: 'Have you ever regretted being in this organisation?' 'What's the most extreme thing you've done in Scouting?' 'Whats the most important bit of being a Scout?'

As I lay there in the quiet glow of the candlelight, listening first to the Latvian, and then to the English translation, I realised that I had heard all these stories before, and yet I hadn't. I realised that these stories are stories of scouts and guides everywhere, and yet they are still unique to the individual.

I thought back to our training from Thursday night where we discussed the WAGGGS 5 essentials, including 'sharing a commitment to a common standard' and I saw it in action. Everyone in this room has made the same promise and lives by the same basic laws, and here we were, listening to stories of how it had affected people's lives.

And not for the first time, and not for the last, I was reminded of the worldwide family I am lucky enough to be a part of. I thought of the friends I have around the world from past adventures. I thought of the Latvian Scouts and Guides that I have been lucky enough to work with over the last two years.

But mostly I thought about my GOLD sisters, lying around me, connected by more than just our shoulders. We've worked hard (and played hard) over the last three weeks, we've run activities for almost 200 members - and that doesn't include this camp. We've run trainings, meetings and activities based on teamwork, leadership, communication and international experiences. We've planned, changed plans, and then done things that completely weren't on the plan in the first place. We've laughed, we've cried, we've played games, we've done puzzles, we've eaten far too much food, but whatever we were doing, we did it together, and I'm proud of all of us.


This is good night and not goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, it's been interesting reading about your time in Latvija. Have a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete